- Designed to achieve 50 line pairs/mm resolving power
- Two XA (extreme aspherical) elements with high surface precision
- Constant F2.8 max aperture maintains exposure and depth of field
- Uncompromising G Master design for smooth bokeh and high resolution
- 11-blade circular aperture contributes to gorgeous bokeh
- Two Direct Drive SSM (DDSSM) for fast, quiet, precise focusing
- Nano AR Coating dramatically reduces flare and ghosting
- Dust and moisture resistant for robust reliability
- ED glass with multi-coating reduces chromatic aberration
- Instant auto/manual focus selection via a AF/MF switch
- Customizable focus hold button expands operability
- Fluorine front-element coating helps repel dirt and fingerprints
Explore the world in creative new ways with superb G Master performance in a 16-35mm F2.8 wide-angle zoom. No matter what zoom setting or focus distance you shoot at this lens not only delivers consistently superb resolution from corner to corner, but also produces stunning background bokeh that can add depth and artistic impact to your images when required. A compact, lightweight design makes the FE 16-35mm F2.8 GM a great choice for active shooting.
Capture the world in spectacular detail
Exacting G Master design standards have resulted in a wide angle zoom that delivers outstanding corner-to-corner resolution throughout its zoom and focus ranges. Two original XA (extreme aspherical) elements with extremely high surface precision are included, one of which is the largest ever produced. The XA elements work with three aspherical elements to minimize aberrations that commonly plagues wide-angle zooms. Two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements are also used to stop chromatic aberration. A floating mechanism driven by two DDSSM (Direct Drive SSM) actuators maintains outstanding resolution throughout the lens’s zoom range, from infinity to close focus. Sony’s own Nano AR coating boosts performance even further by suppressing internal reflections and maintaining clarity even in difficult outdoor lighting conditions. Capture your world with stunning sharpness, detail, and realism.
Controlled, beautiful bokeh adds expressive depth
The ability to produce background bokeh with a large-aperture lens is not unusual, but the smooth beauty of the bokeh from this lens is truly impressive. The XA elements and ED glass elements used not only deliver class-leading sharpness and clarity, but they add up to consistently smooth, creamy bokeh as well. An 11-blade aperture mechanism contributes too. Wide angles, an F2.8 maximum aperture, and G Master optics can elevate your art to unprecedented heights.
Compact and reliable
Class-leading size and weight reductions result in a lens that is mobile and manageable, while lens and body sealing enhances reliability for outdoor shooting.* A fluorine coating on the front element helps to prevent dirt and fingerprints from sticking, and makes it easier to wipe dirt and fingerprints away if they do become attached to the lens surface. This is a lens that can be used with confidence in a variety of challenging outdoor conditions.
*Not guaranteed to be 100% dust and moisture proof.
Diameter x Length: 88.5 x 121.6 mm (3-1/2 x 4-7/8 in.)
13 groups, 16 elements
Minimum Focus Range
0.28 m (0.92 ft)
680 g (24 oz.)