- G Master design combines extraordinary sharpness and smooth bokeh
- Double-linear and Direct Drive SSM for fast, quiet, precise focus
- Optical SteadyShot™ image stabilization significantly reduces blur
- Versatile min. focus distance of 3.22’/0.35x max. mag.
- 9-blade circular aperture contributes to gorgeous bokeh
- Aspherical lens element dramatically reduces spherical aberration
- Super ED & ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass reduces flare & ghosting
- Nano AR coating suppresses reflections, flare and ghosting
- Multi-function focus hold button and zoom torque adjustment ring
- Dust and moisture resistant for robust reliability
If you shoot sports or nature, a 100-400mm super-telephoto zoom range covers your needs. Fast, precise AF will make it easier to capture the most photogenic moments, and realistic high-resolution rendering that is a hallmark of the G Master series will bring your images to life. With all of this the lens is remarkably lightweight, mobile, and packed with class-leading G Master performance.
Lock on to your subject quickly, and stay locked on
When shooting the kind of fast and often erratically moving subjects encountered in sports and nature, autofocus that is responsive, accurate, and reliable is a must. To allow the camera’s AF system to perform at its best the FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 GM OSS features an optimal combination of double linear motor and DDSSM (Direct Drive SSM) drive systems that offers fast response and, thanks to a newly developed AF algorithm, tenacious subject tracking that locks on and stays locked on. It also implements precision sensors that provide real-time feedback for extremely high positioning accuracy.
Keys to G Master resolution
Demanding G Master optical design standards result in sharpness that will satisfy professional requirements. In addition to ED (Extra-low Dispersion) and Super ED glass elements for effective suppression of chromatic aberration that can cause image-wide resolution falloff, Sony's Nano AR Coating is a key technology that contributes to outstanding resolution and contrast. The Nano AR Coating reduces spurious reflections that can cause flare and ghosting in backlit and other challenging lighting situations for consistently high resolution, contrast, and clarity when shooting in bright outdoor conditions.
Professional reliability in harsh conditions
Magnesium alloy components and numerous design refinements contribute to class-leading weight reduction for high mobility and manageability. A fluorine coating on the front element helps to prevent dirt and fingerprints from becoming attached to the lens surface, and a dust and moisture resistant design provides extra protection and reliable operation in challenging environments.