So capable, you won't want to put it down. So thin and light, you won't have to.
With iPad, we've always had a somewhat paradoxical goal: to create a device that's immensely powerful, yet so thin and light you almost forget it's there. A device that helps you do amazing things, without ever getting in your way. iPad Air 2 is all that. And then some.
Not just a thinner display. A beautiful display.
To create the astonishingly thin silhouette of iPad Air 2, we started by redesigning the Retina display, fusing what had been three layers into one. Not only did this make the display thinner, it made it better, with more vivid colours and greater contrast. Then we added an antireflective coating, giving iPad Air 2 one of the least reflective displays of any tablet in the world.
Massive power. In a minimal form.
Not only is iPad Air 2 thinner, it's also a lot more powerful. We designed a chip, the A8X, that delivers substantially better CPU and graphics performance than its predecessor. In fact, with its 64-bit desktop-class architecture, iPad Air 2 is as powerful as many personal computers. It's power efficient, too, with a 10-hour battery life that lets you work, play, surf, and shop all day long. (Battery life varies by use and configuration.)
Advanced security. Right at your fingertip.
iPad Air 2 comes with our breakthrough Touch ID technology. It gives you an unprecedented level of security because it uses nature's most perfect password: your fingerprint. So with just one touch, you can instantly unlock your iPad Air 2. But Touch ID goes beyond that. You can also make secure purchases in iTunes, iBooks, and the App Store. And with Apple Pay, you can unlock an entire world of online shopping that's fast, convenient, and secure.
Two amazing cameras. Cleverly disguised as an iPad.
The iSight camera in iPad Air 2 delivers advanced optics, an improved sensor, and a powerful Apple-designed image signal processor. There are features like panorama, time-lapse videos, slo-mo, and burst and timer modes. The front-facing FaceTime HD camera has been redesigned, too, with an improved sensor and larger pixels for even better low-light performance. The upshot? All your photos and videos — and video calls and selfies — look incredible.
Faster wireless. Good things come to those who don't wait.
Wi-Fi on iPad Air 2 is fast — more than twice as fast as the previous generation — so downloading movies and streaming videos take less time. And the Wi-Fi + Cellular model is equipped with faster, more advanced LTE technology. (Data plan required. LTE is available in select markets and through select carriers. Speeds are based on theoretical throughput and vary based on site conditions and carrier.) With Apple SIM, you can choose a plan quickly and easily in over 100 countries and territories right from your device. So you can make fast connections, even when you're on the go.
Apps designed for iPad. And everything you want to do with it.
iPad Air 2 comes with powerful apps for the things you do every day, like surfing the web, checking email, editing movies and photos, writing reports, and reading books. And there are hundreds of thousands of apps on the App Store, designed specifically for the large Retina display (instead of stretched-out phone apps). So whether it's photography, gaming, traveling, or managing your finances, you'll find an app that will help you do it better.
iOS 10 and iPad. Made to do more together.
iPad Air 2 runs iOS 10, the most advanced, intuitive, and secure mobile operating system in the world. With enhanced apps and features like Slide Over, Split View, and Picture in Picture, iOS 10 lets you multitask in powerful yet simple ways. Whether you're checking messages while answering email or creating a presentation while watching the big game, iOS 10 helps you get more out of iPad than ever before.
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), HE-AAC, MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Dolby Digital (AC-3), Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3), Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV
- User-con?gurable maximum volume limit
- Up to 10 hours of sur?ng the web on Wi-Fi, watching video, or listening to music
- Up to 9 hours of sur?ng the web using cellular data network
Built-in 27.3-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
Built In Devices
Fingerprint identity sensor built into the Home button
169.5 x 6.1 x 240mm
- Retina display
- 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
- 2048-by-1536-pixel resolution at 264 ppi
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
- Fully laminated display
- Antireflective coating
- Wi-Fi (802.11a/?b/?g/?n/?ac); dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz); HT80 with MIMO
- Bluetooth 4.2 technology
- UMTS/?HSPA/?HSPA+/?DC?HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
- CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1900 MHz)
- LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 38, 39, 40, 41) *Data plan required
- Data only *Cellular data plan is sold separately
- Wi-Fi calling *Data plan required
- Includes Apple SIM
Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system
- A8X chip with 64-bit architecture
- M8 motion coprocessor
- 8MP iSight camera
- 1.2MP FaceTime HD camera